Today 25 November is International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.
Violence against women and girls is one of the most widespread, persistent and devastating human rights violations in our world today.
- Intimate Partner Violence: Worldwide, 1 in 3 women have experienced physical or sexual violence — mostly by an intimate partner.
- Sexual violence & Harassment: In some countries, up to 1/3 of adolescent girls report their first sexual experience as being forced.
- Human trafficking: 71% of all trafficking victims worldwide are women and girls. 3 out of 4 trafficked women and girls are sexually exploited.
- Female Genital Mutilation: At least 200 million women and girls alive today have undergone FGM in 30 countries where representative data is available.
- Child Marriage: almost 750 million women and girls alive today were married before their 18th birthday
End Violence against Women Today!
Source: UN Women